|This is a part of Tsumago Post Town preservation area. Along the old historical road, you can see the old dashibarizukuri-style family houses that have sode-udatsu-style roof edges.|
Passing through Tsumago Post Town, O-tsumago, and Magome Post Town, Nakasendo Road goes past Kudaritani (down valley) and continues into the deserted and deep mountains.
Kurashina Ancestral Spirits Shrine
There is a legend in this area that Shichirozaemon Tomonori Kurashina, a key statesman of the Matsumoto Castle lord, Sadayoshi Ogasawara, and his followers – over 30 in number – were killed by a local clan on his route to deliver gifts to Hideyoshi Toyotomi in 1586. This shrine was built to comfort Kurashina’s spirit.
Research on the layout, structure, and finish of this house revealed that its architecture traces back to the mid-17th century. It was repaired thereafter and restored in 1988. Its original parts are considered as that of one of the oldest residential houses in Nagano.
The house is designated as Nagano’s prefectural treasure and is now open to the public.
Odaki (Male Waterfall) and Medaki (Female Waterfall)
These waterfalls appear in Eiji Yoshikawa’s novel, “Musashi Miyamoto,” where Musashi and his lover, Otsu, developed their relationship. Facing left is Odaki Falls and right is Medaki Falls.
This is also the origin of the Kurashina-sama Legend; once upon a time, a golden rooster flew into these waterfalls and cried to tell time from there.
Left photo: Odaki Falls
Right photo: Medaki Falls
|Nagiso Town Tourism Association|
3668-1 Yomikaki, Nagiso, Kiso-gun, Nagano, 399-5301 Japan
(Office: in Nagiso Town Hall)
Phone: 0264-57-2001 Fax: 0264-57-2270
|Copyright1997 Nagiso Town. No reproduction or republication without written permission|